Team Kenya 2013: July 25, 2013 - August 3, 2013

Monday, April 23, 2012

23 Apr...1:44p

Hello everyone,

We just finished lunch after a fabulous morning; I only have a few minutes, so I'll write a little about the beginnings of the day (and just have to pick up where I left off later) before we leave for The Matthew 28 Orphanage.  Regarding Matthew 28, please keep that situation in your prayers.  I wrote extensively about Matthew 28 when we were here in January.  If you're interested, you can go back and read some of those posts in the archive on this site.  There's one in particular, which I think summarizes the thoughts and feelings of the team back in January.  The link for that is provided below:

http://hmi-nc.blogspot.com/2012/01/30-jan123p.html

Anyway...

The day started (of course) with breakfast.  Okay, that's an understatement.  It started with a great breakfast (basically, because I got to eat it!) of pancakes, bananas, and spam.  I cannot comment on the spam, as I am deathly allergic to meat, but the pancakes with peanut butter, bananas, and syrup were fantastic.  I think I consumed at least my USRDA of refined sugar for the day (maybe even the week) by the second bite (and God was most definitely pleased!).

After breakfast, Keith led the devotion.  Drawing on a devotion he'd recently read by Dr. Charles Stanley, Keith shared a little about following God's schedule.  The text was the Romans 11:33-36 doxology, which is a prayer of praise to God for His wisdom and plans.

Here are some of the things I remember Keith saying...

God is not arbitrary.

No one has ever been able to fully understand the Mind of God; no one is His counselor.

How can surrendering to God NOT be a benefit to us? (Rhetorical question, of course!)

Our Creator is always motivated by love.  Always.

At just the right time, God will provide what we need to fulfill His plans for us.

Keith ended with a reading of The Optimist Creed.  Two of the creed's statements spoke to where I am today...

Promise yourself...

To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.

To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet (even a tarantula...yes, I found one on my shovel today [actually, I almost picked it up before I knew what it was]) a smile.

Okay...that's all for now.  I have so much more to write about, but, alas (I've always wanted to use that word), I must post this so that I can go play with about 50 rowdy kids desperate to be touched and to be loved and to be delighted in.

Peace...

Dave
On behalf of Team Haiti 2012/April

2 comments:

Stacy W. said...

Dave, thanks for keeping us posted. We talked about your blog during staff meeting today and also about how much we appreciate you and your words. Safe travels friend. We're praying for you all.

The Harris' said...

Continuing in prayer for all of you. Especially Matt. 28. Asking God to loose His Spirit of Truth, and genuine love. Praying that you will be filled with compassion and wisdom and strength.
From: Kimberly, Ken, Hannah, Ben and Maggie Harris